Skip to main content

Conversation #125: Some news stories on my mind

Long time readers know that I like politics and I used to post about them often back in the day (especially preceeding the last presidential election).  I haven't posted much lately because I have pretty much just been so saddened by the current state of politics that I was trying to go by the motto, "Ignorance is Bliss."  Well, I think that will probably change over the next months as we get closer to the next Presidential Election. 

Anyway, this article is indirectly political.  Full disclosure, a close relative works for this company so I'm sure that I'm a little biased, but I think I am more biased in knowing about it versus my feelings about it.  For example, if my relative didn't work here than I probably wouldn't pay attention to the story, but I would still feel the same way about it even if it were about a different company in the same position.

A couple of weeks ago I spent a couple of days at our local state transportation office learning how to properly use federal and state funds for projects.  Basically, I learned that money isn't worth all of the ridiculous amounts of red tape they make you go through.  However, one rule I learned is that you must "Buy America" if you are using steel or iron materials.  I love how the government puts these restrictions on us, but yet though don't seem to follow the same rule.  Read the article below and you'll see what I mean:

Contract would preserve U.S. jobs
Hawker Beechcraft files suit over Air Force contract



By Molly McMillin


The Wichita Eagle


Published Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2011, at 11:11 a.m.


Updated Wednesday, Dec. 28, 2011, at 9:18 a.m

Wichita — Hawker Beechcraft Corp. filed suit Tuesday with the U.S. Court of Federal Claims questioning the Air Force’s decision to exclude its AT-6 aircraft from a contract potentially worth nearly $1 billion...For the past year, Hawker Beechcraft has competed against Brazil-based Embraer for a contract to supply 35 aircraft to the Air Force. That number could grow to 55 and be worth up to $950 million. Deliveries were scheduled to begin in 2013...If Hawker Beechcraft wins the contract, it would preserve 1,400 U.S. jobs at 181 companies in 39 states, the company said. That includes 800 at Hawker Beechcraft, Boisture said...


Read the entire story here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conversation #123: Open to Interpretation

First, I apologize for two posts today.  The other one was supposed to post yesterday.  I wrote it during lunch, but it didn't post properly.  Oh well. So I started reading Kayla's blog during her last wardrobe challenge, and I loved it.  I also loved when she and Amy and Erica started doing this series called Open to Interpretation.  I have no idea why, but I never thought of taking an outfit I saw in a catalog or a magazine and then recreating it or something like it with what I already own.  This has really helped me not only stretch my closet but also push me to try some new fashiony things (without going out to spend a ton of money). Here is the photo inspiration (I just copied it from Kayla's blog): And here is my interpretation: Outfit breakdown: Sweater - Old Navy, $8 Striped Shirt - LOFT (from the event last week), $20 Pink pants - JCPenney, Juniors section (don't tell Stacey and Clinton), $10 Leather Oxfords - J.Jill, $30 Mine is...

Conversation #32: Kitchen Design Help!

Okay, I don’t really know that too many people read this blog since I moved to a new address, but I’m begging if you do, please help me.  I am at a loss on what to do with part of my kitchen. Here is how I painted my kitchen 3 years ago: It was fun, bright, and I like it, but we decided it needed to be a bit more grown-up these days.  I knew we would have to paint it before we moved so we decided to just go ahead and do it now for a change.  We decided to go with a gray so that it would be neutral but not boring.  However, the gray had a strong blue tone to it on the walls and now I need to phase out my turquoise decor I think. Here are some afters (still putting it back together): Some of these are the same shots but with/without flash to show the colors.  I think I really like the new color, but the turquoise trim does not go anymore in my opinion.  I’m trying to figure out what to do with it, and I need help!!! ...

A Conversation about Babies

(Picture from here .) I think everyone I know has just had a baby, is going to have a baby, or wants to have a baby! Is there something wrong with me? I want children, with my whole heart. I really look forward to being a mom someday and more and more I hope to be able to stay home with my children. The thing is, I can wait right now. I don’t have baby fever. I feel too young. I’m only 25 – how could I possibly know how to care for a child yet; I can barely take care of my husband, dog, and me. I guess what I’m wondering is should that itch be there? Should I be craving to be a mother? Does this mean my maternal instincts are off? I just feel like an older (and hopefully more mature and less selfish) version of me would make a better mother. Plus, the husband isn’t even out of law school yet! I think about my future children: their looks, personality. In my dreams I love being pregnant (I hope that is true, but the labor part still terrifies me). I know I’ll love sewing l...