Skip to main content

A Conversation about Complainers

Is there something in the atmosphere?  Every time I leave my desk at work, I return to find that little red light taunting me.  You know the one: the new voicemail light.

I’m not sure why, but I have never really loved voicemails.  I usually listen to them on my phone days after I receive them because I would rather just call the person back.  However, it is a different story at work.

Most of you may love that red light.  It might mean a friendly coworker called to chat or maybe your significant other left you a pick-me-up message while you were away at lunch.  On my phone it means that someone doesn’t like something.

I love my job, most days, but the warm weather has brought everyone outdoors to linger.  While they linger, the look, and while they look, they start finding things they don’t like.  Someone is speeding, or parking in front of their house, or their children want to play in the street (so where can we put the cars).  I mean, seriously?  Your kids should NEVER be playing in the street – that is where we put the cars. 

I know this is part of the job, and I don’t really mind.  Honestly, for me the hardest part is telling people “no,” especially when I sympathize with their complaint.  More often than not, traffic “problems” are really just the symptom of a bigger, non-related traffic problem.

Thankfully, once school is out for summer the complaints usually drop off a bit so here’s to counting down to the last day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conversation #123: Open to Interpretation

First, I apologize for two posts today.  The other one was supposed to post yesterday.  I wrote it during lunch, but it didn't post properly.  Oh well. So I started reading Kayla's blog during her last wardrobe challenge, and I loved it.  I also loved when she and Amy and Erica started doing this series called Open to Interpretation.  I have no idea why, but I never thought of taking an outfit I saw in a catalog or a magazine and then recreating it or something like it with what I already own.  This has really helped me not only stretch my closet but also push me to try some new fashiony things (without going out to spend a ton of money). Here is the photo inspiration (I just copied it from Kayla's blog): And here is my interpretation: Outfit breakdown: Sweater - Old Navy, $8 Striped Shirt - LOFT (from the event last week), $20 Pink pants - JCPenney, Juniors section (don't tell Stacey and Clinton), $10 Leather Oxfords - J.Jill, $30 Mine is...

Conversation #32: Kitchen Design Help!

Okay, I don’t really know that too many people read this blog since I moved to a new address, but I’m begging if you do, please help me.  I am at a loss on what to do with part of my kitchen. Here is how I painted my kitchen 3 years ago: It was fun, bright, and I like it, but we decided it needed to be a bit more grown-up these days.  I knew we would have to paint it before we moved so we decided to just go ahead and do it now for a change.  We decided to go with a gray so that it would be neutral but not boring.  However, the gray had a strong blue tone to it on the walls and now I need to phase out my turquoise decor I think. Here are some afters (still putting it back together): Some of these are the same shots but with/without flash to show the colors.  I think I really like the new color, but the turquoise trim does not go anymore in my opinion.  I’m trying to figure out what to do with it, and I need help!!! ...

Conversation #22b: Fashion help!

So we talked about fall weddings a couple of days ago - can a brighter jewel tone work in fall?  I bought this dress on clearance at Target for $13 a couple of days ago: So y'all made me feel pretty good about wearing a sleeveless option and using a pashmina or a cardigan.  I actually have a pretty cute black dress cardigan so here is what I was thinking:  Can I wear this dress in October with black tights and black suede pumps and pull it off?  I think it could be cute, but I need your input.  If not, I might return it (or for $13 I might just keep it because I'm thinking I can wear it to a wedding this Saturday also!)  I realize that this wedding isn't until October, but my MIL was talking about a dress for her so it put it in my mind. Honestly, I'm afraid if I don't start looking now I may forget and then be in real panic mode!  Anyway, thoughts???