Skip to main content

A DIY Conversation

I have been gone so long!  I hate that too.  I really thought once I updated computers I would be able to blog more often.  However, life has been happening and that definitely comes first.  I’m trying to knock off a lot of items on my ever-growing “to do” list.

One of those things was recovering an ottoman we bought at Target with some gift cards back when we got married (5 years ago!)  It was a faux leather, lightly colored, and just didn’t wear very well.  Here is a before picture:

DSC03503

I purchased some fabric quite a while ago while Joann Fabrics was having a 50% off sale on their red tag fabrics (kind of the clearance).  I always look for fabric there first to see if they have anything I like.  They had this heavyweight brushed twill fabric in a khaki color – perfect!  I think I paid $5 for two yards of fabric which was more than enough.  Here are some pictures of the recovering process:

DSC03505

DSC03506

DSC03507

After this I decided I wanted to add a small trim to the ottoman to dress it up just a bit.  I went back to my favorite fabric store and found some trim on clearance for $0.97/yd.  I ended up needing about 2.5 yards.

DSC03508

Here is the mostly finished product:

mostly finished ottoman

I just realized when I was putting this post together that I haven’t taken a final picture, but this will do.  You get the idea!

I would say it was a pretty easy project, but the trim about killed me.  The recovering part was easy, but it took me three nights to finish the trim because I had to do it by hand, and it was hot so my hands got sweaty, and it was just sort of a beating.  I’m glad I added it though because I think it finishes it off nicely.

Comments

Mostly Style said…
I love it!!! I love little DIY projects and I think you did a great job!

Popular posts from this blog

Conversation #123: Open to Interpretation

First, I apologize for two posts today.  The other one was supposed to post yesterday.  I wrote it during lunch, but it didn't post properly.  Oh well. So I started reading Kayla's blog during her last wardrobe challenge, and I loved it.  I also loved when she and Amy and Erica started doing this series called Open to Interpretation.  I have no idea why, but I never thought of taking an outfit I saw in a catalog or a magazine and then recreating it or something like it with what I already own.  This has really helped me not only stretch my closet but also push me to try some new fashiony things (without going out to spend a ton of money). Here is the photo inspiration (I just copied it from Kayla's blog): And here is my interpretation: Outfit breakdown: Sweater - Old Navy, $8 Striped Shirt - LOFT (from the event last week), $20 Pink pants - JCPenney, Juniors section (don't tell Stacey and Clinton), $10 Leather Oxfords - J.Jill, $30 Mine is...

Conversation #32: Kitchen Design Help!

Okay, I don’t really know that too many people read this blog since I moved to a new address, but I’m begging if you do, please help me.  I am at a loss on what to do with part of my kitchen. Here is how I painted my kitchen 3 years ago: It was fun, bright, and I like it, but we decided it needed to be a bit more grown-up these days.  I knew we would have to paint it before we moved so we decided to just go ahead and do it now for a change.  We decided to go with a gray so that it would be neutral but not boring.  However, the gray had a strong blue tone to it on the walls and now I need to phase out my turquoise decor I think. Here are some afters (still putting it back together): Some of these are the same shots but with/without flash to show the colors.  I think I really like the new color, but the turquoise trim does not go anymore in my opinion.  I’m trying to figure out what to do with it, and I need help!!! ...

A Conversation about Babies

(Picture from here .) I think everyone I know has just had a baby, is going to have a baby, or wants to have a baby! Is there something wrong with me? I want children, with my whole heart. I really look forward to being a mom someday and more and more I hope to be able to stay home with my children. The thing is, I can wait right now. I don’t have baby fever. I feel too young. I’m only 25 – how could I possibly know how to care for a child yet; I can barely take care of my husband, dog, and me. I guess what I’m wondering is should that itch be there? Should I be craving to be a mother? Does this mean my maternal instincts are off? I just feel like an older (and hopefully more mature and less selfish) version of me would make a better mother. Plus, the husband isn’t even out of law school yet! I think about my future children: their looks, personality. In my dreams I love being pregnant (I hope that is true, but the labor part still terrifies me). I know I’ll love sewing l...