Skip to main content

Conversation #113: Sassy Engineer, where art thou?

I'll be honest - I have been avoiding the blog.  I have a shopping problem, and I didn't want to share that I have fallen down a bit in this retail detox thing.  I'll save the real post for tomorrow, but this is the start of week 6 and it has been a little up and down for me.  I'm so proud of the other ladies that have held strong though!  I was doing well to at least only buy things on ebay that I had money for because I had sold things on ebay.  It was at least a step in the right direction for me because I apparently can't quit cold turkey.  However, yesterday night while watching the Rangers win (woohoo!) I caved to the Lands' End Canvas sale.  Maybe none of it will fit so it will be easy to return!  Then I really need to buckle down - I blame it on my husband.  He had a birthday yesterday and I shopped for him and got back into the online shopping world too soon!

Anyway, I'll do my official update tomorrow, but I decided to start following this outfit inspiration blog (Fab Finds under $50) to keep me on track again with using clothes I already own.  I think being an engineer sometimes filters into all aspects of my life because I love structure (that would be even funnier if I were a structural engineer, I'm a nerd, sorry).  I found this blog (check it out!) through a chain of other blogs, and I love that she has all of these calendars for inspiration so I can be creative but have some guidance.

Today was Mustard & Navy - I was happy to do to this because I love these two colors together.  I opted for the oufit below (please excuse my hair, we had 93% humidity this morning):

Outfit breakdown:
Navy Jacket, LOFT, thrifted, $10
Mustard Lace Trim Tank (just peaking out at the top and bottom), Coldwater Creek, $12 (I think)
Khaki pants, Gap, $12
Suede Navy Flats, Lands' End, $10
Mustard & cognac leather tote, Halogen, $48

I realize that $48 isn't cheap, but for a leather tote that is pretty good.  I have been a lover of purses since I was born (I have pictures of me with them draped around my neck as a baby/toddler), and I used to go with quantity not quality.  Well, over the years I have shifted to spending a bit more on leather bags that will last me for years versus cheap ones for months.  It is amazing how many less bags I own, but I love them all.

Also, I realize I will never be a full on fashion blogger.  I don't have the time or energy to take awesome pictures, but now that the weather is cooler and my backyard isn't quite as out of control, I will try to take more outside pictures again with better lighting.  I just like to use this little space to stretch my creativity with my fashion, and hopefully without spending too much money!  I really do have other things I want to blog about these days also, but I forget to take pictures and then that makes for a boring blog post.  I'll try to be better about throwing in some other fun things too!  Hope everyone is having a good evening, and GO RANGERS!!!  (that is the world series for my non sports readers)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conversation #114: Wardrobe Checklist (and retail detox update)

I read something a while back that sort of spurred me into thinking I needed to do this whole retail detox thing.  I'm just going to get it out there - it has been way hard for me and I'm super embarrassed and disappointed by that.  I did well for the first two weeks, and then I got into this buying and returning things habit because I felt bad after buying it.  I told myself that I could still buy things, but only with extra money I earned from ebay.  That worked for a while too, but then I caved to the Lands' End Canvas sale last weekend.  I bought three tees, a skirt, and a cardigan.  I think that all but maybe one tee will be going back and hopefully I can stop this extra shopping. 

Okay, back to the "thing" I read...

It was an article in Real Simple magazine targeted at helping you never buy the wrong thing again.  It has great tips in it, and the wardrobe checklist it includes really brought it all back home to me.  I started going through the checklist an…

The Post Office Blonde Moment

(Photo from: http://www.nauvoonews.com/nauvoo_photos.htm)

So I found a new satchel purse that I'm very excited about.  I got a better deal on this one than the other, and it is from one of my favorite purse companies, The Sak.  Here is a picture of it:
I decided that I needed to return a purse I bought from them a couple of weeks ago though to feel good about this purchase.  I bought it thinking I would love it, but I just couldn't make the shape fit for me.  I let it sit for a week or so, but it wasn't happening.  I was just going to keep it because the thought of returning it sounded like a hassle until this bag was revealed on their website, and it was waaaaay marked down for a week!  I decided I would just send the other one back, and so began the post office debacle.

I lost a little faith in the USPS this week - at least the local one near me.  I went on Monday night to pick up a priority mail box, and they were all out.  Plus, there were like 20+ people in line.  I de…

Conversation #203: So I married my mom

I don't know if people say this to men, but I heard a lot while growing up that girls tend to marry someone like their dad (I guess good, bad, or ugly).  I don't know how true that really is, but relatively early on in our marriage, my husband and I realized I married my mom.

This doesn't mean my husband is feminine or my mother masculine, but to say that they seem to be the same person.  I am definitely more like my dad personality wise so it probably make sense that I married someone more like my mom.  Now I will say my mom, being an actual woman, generally makes her a bit more empathetic and understanding to the eccentricities of being a woman.  I don't think any man, my husband or otherwise, will ever be able to understand the intricacies of being a woman. However, I also feel like he can talk to my mom, and being that they have both lived with me and seem to speak the same language,  can benefit from her wisdom and knowledge of co-habitating with me and enlighten …