Skip to main content

Conversation #203: So I married my mom

I don't know if people say this to men, but I heard a lot while growing up that girls tend to marry someone like their dad (I guess good, bad, or ugly).  I don't know how true that really is, but relatively early on in our marriage, my husband and I realized I married my mom.

This doesn't mean my husband is feminine or my mother masculine, but to say that they seem to be the same person.  I am definitely more like my dad personality wise so it probably make sense that I married someone more like my mom.  Now I will say my mom, being an actual woman, generally makes her a bit more empathetic and understanding to the eccentricities of being a woman.  I don't think any man, my husband or otherwise, will ever be able to understand the intricacies of being a woman. However, I also feel like he can talk to my mom, and being that they have both lived with me and seem to speak the same language,  can benefit from her wisdom and knowledge of co-habitating with me and enlighten him better on the ways of women, specifically me :)

One of the biggest things both of these special people have contributed to my life is that they love me unconditionally.  My mom loved me through some tough times when I struggled daily (really every minute) and asked some tough questions.  My mom's love and grace, and I'm sure her trust in the Lord, saw me through some dark times (that I may eventually share...I feel like God is working on my heart a bit).  My husband, likewise, has done the same.  I know I have tried over and over in our marriage (even before being married) to destroy our relationship with hurtful words and actions (well allowed Satan and my flesh to win) and his grace and trust in the Lord has kept him around too; I honestly don't know why sometimes.  You see, none of us is perfect, I'm not saying they are, but I am so glad they allow God/the Holy Spirit to indwell in them so they offer His fruits to me.  My daily prayer is that I do that for them and others.  I am glad to have them in my life.

Oh, and one last funny comment on the similarities of my husband and mother...I am currently 23 (almost 24 weeks pregnant) and my parents were here last week to help watch our toddler while his daycare provider was on vacation.  One day in particular I looked in the mirror and told my mom I felt huge, and instead of saying something like "oh you look great, your not that big" she said, "well you are kind big for this stage."  Oh I love my mom and know she didn't mean anything mean, but my husband said something similar a few weeks ago because yes, he hasn't learned yet!

Anyway, did you marry your dad, mom, sibling?  Tell me!

Comments

Stori said…
I'm so glad you're back! Yes, I've often said that I married my mom too. I am so much like my dad, and my husband does have some of my dad's best characteristics - he works hard to provide for us, and weirdly enough, loves yard work. But personality wise he's patient like my mom and slow to anger. We're a good match.

Popular posts from this blog

Conversation #32: Kitchen Design Help!

Okay, I don’t really know that too many people read this blog since I moved to a new address, but I’m begging if you do, please help me.  I am at a loss on what to do with part of my kitchen. Here is how I painted my kitchen 3 years ago: It was fun, bright, and I like it, but we decided it needed to be a bit more grown-up these days.  I knew we would have to paint it before we moved so we decided to just go ahead and do it now for a change.  We decided to go with a gray so that it would be neutral but not boring.  However, the gray had a strong blue tone to it on the walls and now I need to phase out my turquoise decor I think. Here are some afters (still putting it back together): Some of these are the same shots but with/without flash to show the colors.  I think I really like the new color, but the turquoise trim does not go anymore in my opinion.  I’m trying to figure out what to do with it, and I need help!!!  Please, give me ideas!!! I’m seri

Conversation #123: Open to Interpretation

First, I apologize for two posts today.  The other one was supposed to post yesterday.  I wrote it during lunch, but it didn't post properly.  Oh well. So I started reading Kayla's blog during her last wardrobe challenge, and I loved it.  I also loved when she and Amy and Erica started doing this series called Open to Interpretation.  I have no idea why, but I never thought of taking an outfit I saw in a catalog or a magazine and then recreating it or something like it with what I already own.  This has really helped me not only stretch my closet but also push me to try some new fashiony things (without going out to spend a ton of money). Here is the photo inspiration (I just copied it from Kayla's blog): And here is my interpretation: Outfit breakdown: Sweater - Old Navy, $8 Striped Shirt - LOFT (from the event last week), $20 Pink pants - JCPenney, Juniors section (don't tell Stacey and Clinton), $10 Leather Oxfords - J.Jill, $30 Mine is pretty close to j

Conversation #34: Fall Fashion Part 1

I am soooooooooooo ready for Fall.  Isn’t everyone?  I have actually been picking up a few Fall pieces over the last few weeks that I have found on sale already, and I’ll be sharing my frugal finds soon. I have also been drooling over new arrivals from some of my favorite stores so I’m going to share a few over the next few days.  Today, I’m sharing my favorite picks from Lands End Canvas and Lands End . I have actually already bough the dress in the lower left!  I was trying to hold out until it went on sale, but it was already selling out in my preferred color and size so I’m hoping it isn’t too big.  I just know I will get a ton of wear out of it.  Doesn’t it just look cozy?  I ordered it in gray.     I love a classic trench, and wingtips are all around!  I have a red trench that I love, but it fits a little weird so I might replace it.  Also, I already shared my version of wingtips I'll be sporting this season, but I think these are a grea