Skip to main content

Conversation #205: About Me

Hello!

I have no idea how often I will escape to this place, but since I recently added this ol' blog address to my Instagram Profile, I thought maybe I should dust her off and welcome any new readers.

I have so many thoughts rolling around in my head CONSTANTLY that maybe this would be a good spot again to release them, and keep me from online shopping too much during my lunch break ;)  I hear a faint AMEN from my husband.

Anyway, the title of my blog may lead people to make snap judgments about me or my beliefs, which is unfortunate, but also the society we live in at the moment.  First, it created a sort of catchy blog name, and I liked it.  And, yes, I am a conservative, but that label has sooooo many different meanings depending on what media outlet you last listened to so I thought maybe I would use this post to re-introduce myself to old friends and share a bit about how I have grown in the last few years.

I am Christian, Jesus Follower, Believer, Daughter of the King - whatever the politically accepted term is these days.  I don't think this is synonymous with being a Conservative, but they are often linked together by the media.  I know plenty of liberal Christians as well.

Politically, I lean fairly conservative, and frankly, no party and few politicians represent me these days.  My firm belief is that the problem with Washington is that they have all been there for way too long!!!  Term limits for the win ( a girl can hope anyway!)  The last presidential election was as hard for me as most of the country; I really wasn't sure how I would feel about either outcome.  Still not to be honest.

I think politicians and the media are to blame for much of the divisiveness and polarization of our society.  When I have real conversations with people I have real relationships with, the outcomes and ideas are so much closer together than the media portrays.  I have many "liberal" friends, and in having rational, calm, and informed conversations, I have learned that we want many of the same things for people, the country, the world.  We just may have different ideas on how to get there, but I think we are so much better at listening to each other and finding a way forward with compromise and grace than any politicians are.

I am also fairly "conservative" in accepting new ideas (like anything from politics, parenting, technology, etc.), but I am slowly coming around to the idea that maybe I'm not always right (shocker, I know.)  Many events in this crazy, broken world make me question long held perspectives I have had and in turn are driving me to the Bible and God to see what He tells me in His words.  He has softened my heart, and I know He is teaching me how to love more in truth and leaving the justice up to Him (not that we shouldn't fight injustice, but I am realizing it is not my job to be the judge - does that make sense?)

Okay, also quick biographical type info: I am married to an awesome guy (we just celebrated 12 years of marriage) and we currently have two energetic boys (3.5 and 1.5 years old) with hopes for more in the future.  I work full-time outside of the home as a transportation engineer for a city, and the life/work balance struggle is real, and I daily have to remind myself I cannot be all things to all people and remember my true identity in Christ.

Anyway, that might give you a bit more insight to me, and I hope you stick around to find out if any of the stereotypes you may be applying to me are true or not.

Talk to you soon,
Jess aka Sassy Engineer (one should really think long term about profile names)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conversation #32: Kitchen Design Help!

Okay, I don’t really know that too many people read this blog since I moved to a new address, but I’m begging if you do, please help me.  I am at a loss on what to do with part of my kitchen. Here is how I painted my kitchen 3 years ago: It was fun, bright, and I like it, but we decided it needed to be a bit more grown-up these days.  I knew we would have to paint it before we moved so we decided to just go ahead and do it now for a change.  We decided to go with a gray so that it would be neutral but not boring.  However, the gray had a strong blue tone to it on the walls and now I need to phase out my turquoise decor I think. Here are some afters (still putting it back together): Some of these are the same shots but with/without flash to show the colors.  I think I really like the new color, but the turquoise trim does not go anymore in my opinion.  I’m trying to figure out what to do with it, and I need help!!!  Please, give me ideas!!! I’m seri

Conversation #123: Open to Interpretation

First, I apologize for two posts today.  The other one was supposed to post yesterday.  I wrote it during lunch, but it didn't post properly.  Oh well. So I started reading Kayla's blog during her last wardrobe challenge, and I loved it.  I also loved when she and Amy and Erica started doing this series called Open to Interpretation.  I have no idea why, but I never thought of taking an outfit I saw in a catalog or a magazine and then recreating it or something like it with what I already own.  This has really helped me not only stretch my closet but also push me to try some new fashiony things (without going out to spend a ton of money). Here is the photo inspiration (I just copied it from Kayla's blog): And here is my interpretation: Outfit breakdown: Sweater - Old Navy, $8 Striped Shirt - LOFT (from the event last week), $20 Pink pants - JCPenney, Juniors section (don't tell Stacey and Clinton), $10 Leather Oxfords - J.Jill, $30 Mine is pretty close to j