Skip to main content

Conversation #22: Thursday Thought

Do miracles still happen?  More specifically, do they still happen in the U.S.?  I recently had a friend that traveled to India on a mission trip.  When she spoke about her experience, she mentioned seeing people possessed by demons and everyone gathering around to pray until they left.  She also talked about how they prayed for a girls foot to be healed, and it was right before their eyes.

Normally I would write off stories like this as being fake or embellished, but this isn’t that kind of friend.  She is down-to-earth and rational, but she is a servant of the Lord.  She has faith that I wish I had all the time.  I mean, she wasn’t hitting people in the forehead and casting out demons.  They used the power of prayer, and it made stop and think.

Do we just miss miracles in our comfortable lives?  Do we try to explain everything away with Science?  I don’t know the exact answer, but here is what I think; I think that modern science and medicine IS a miracle.  One of my best friends gave birth to a baby 15 weeks early.  She was under 2 pounds and so teeny tiny.  She was in the hospital for weeks, but she had relatively few problems and is now a healthy almost 8-month old.  That is a MIRACLE!  I know God worked in her life and through the doctors.

My dad was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and the prognosis wasn’t good.  However, through seemingly random (although I sad God) channels, my parents found a new cardiologist using a new drug that saved his life.  Sure, he has to take medication forever, but he is alive and didn’t have to wait for a heart transplant.  I mean, even the medication is a miracle!

I think we have just as many miracles, but I think we have become immune to them.  I also think God uses doctors and modern medicine in our country to perform miracles and that is easy to write off.  In India, God can’t always use doctors to heal because he doesn’t have them.  I guess I think that maybe I want to start looking for the miracle everyday because I know they’re there.  I hope you will too!  Now it’s time for your thoughts…

Comments

Ashleigh said…
I agree with what you're saying. But I also think that our culture is very different from Eastern culture or even just that of other countries. You read Heavenly Man right? Its like how he said persecution was just different here - it's not physical like in China but it's that of unbelief and being confronted by atheists. Same with miracles. Different worldviews. Even with a Christian worldview, we are not as open to many of the things other cultures are. If we say that God meets us where we are at, then I think this is one of the ways He does that ya know? But like many atheists, often we attribute medicine's healing properties to the medicine and not to God... just some food for thought.

Popular posts from this blog

Conversation #114: Wardrobe Checklist (and retail detox update)

I read something a while back that sort of spurred me into thinking I needed to do this whole retail detox thing.  I'm just going to get it out there - it has been way hard for me and I'm super embarrassed and disappointed by that.  I did well for the first two weeks, and then I got into this buying and returning things habit because I felt bad after buying it.  I told myself that I could still buy things, but only with extra money I earned from ebay.  That worked for a while too, but then I caved to the Lands' End Canvas sale last weekend.  I bought three tees, a skirt, and a cardigan.  I think that all but maybe one tee will be going back and hopefully I can stop this extra shopping. 

Okay, back to the "thing" I read...

It was an article in Real Simple magazine targeted at helping you never buy the wrong thing again.  It has great tips in it, and the wardrobe checklist it includes really brought it all back home to me.  I started going through the checklist an…

The Post Office Blonde Moment

(Photo from: http://www.nauvoonews.com/nauvoo_photos.htm)

So I found a new satchel purse that I'm very excited about.  I got a better deal on this one than the other, and it is from one of my favorite purse companies, The Sak.  Here is a picture of it:
I decided that I needed to return a purse I bought from them a couple of weeks ago though to feel good about this purchase.  I bought it thinking I would love it, but I just couldn't make the shape fit for me.  I let it sit for a week or so, but it wasn't happening.  I was just going to keep it because the thought of returning it sounded like a hassle until this bag was revealed on their website, and it was waaaaay marked down for a week!  I decided I would just send the other one back, and so began the post office debacle.

I lost a little faith in the USPS this week - at least the local one near me.  I went on Monday night to pick up a priority mail box, and they were all out.  Plus, there were like 20+ people in line.  I de…

Conversation #203: So I married my mom

I don't know if people say this to men, but I heard a lot while growing up that girls tend to marry someone like their dad (I guess good, bad, or ugly).  I don't know how true that really is, but relatively early on in our marriage, my husband and I realized I married my mom.

This doesn't mean my husband is feminine or my mother masculine, but to say that they seem to be the same person.  I am definitely more like my dad personality wise so it probably make sense that I married someone more like my mom.  Now I will say my mom, being an actual woman, generally makes her a bit more empathetic and understanding to the eccentricities of being a woman.  I don't think any man, my husband or otherwise, will ever be able to understand the intricacies of being a woman. However, I also feel like he can talk to my mom, and being that they have both lived with me and seem to speak the same language,  can benefit from her wisdom and knowledge of co-habitating with me and enlighten …