Skip to main content

Conversation #84: WW Update and more

First, I hope everyone had a wonderful Memorial Day.  My husband plays in our community band so I went to see him at an outdoor concert, and it was full of patriotic music and people.  It was a great time!  This time of year (with the 4th of July and Veterans Day to follow) always make me wish I had the courage to serve my country, and I am always so humbled by those that do.  I have read many military wives' blogs over the years, and I thank you for the sacrifice of your spouse to protect the rest of us.  I am in awe of all service people and their families.  THANK YOU!!!

Because of those that serve and protect us, we can all write about whatever silly thing we want to on these blogs we have.  It is hard to think that maybe we couldn't - I'm glad for that freedom!

So onto my WeightWatchers update for the week (a little sooner than usual!): I lost 3 pounds last week!  I am so excited about that.  I tried to work really hard this last week and really sticking to my points and stepping up my exercise.  I think it did the trick.  Now I'm only 6 pounds away from my goal weight, and I feel great.  A pool party yesterday did me in a bit, so I'm going to spend the rest of the week exercising and watching points.  At least I didn't use all of my flex points yesterday!

I also want to take a quick moment to clarify how WeightWatchers works.  I have had some friends ask about it, and now I realize that some people don't know what it is.  I have no idea why I knew, but I feel like I always did so I just assumed others did as well. 

First, I'm not a spokesperson for WW and have no affiliation with them other than being a current participant of the online plan (that I paid for myself).  WeightWatchers is not a diet.  I like to call it a lifestyle change.  You don't buy food, and the goal (at least in my mind) is that they try to teach you how to eat correctly for the rest of your life.  I don't plan on changing how I am eating now just because my "subscription" expires.  If I still had more weight to lose to reach my goal, I would sign up again, but I'm hoping to be in maintenance mode before my 3 months is up (you sign up for 3 month increments online). 

Okay, this is a little scatter-brained, but basically you are assigned a point value for what you should eat per day (based on age, sex, height, and weight you want to lose, and probably more things they factor in that I don't know).  Those are the things I told them and then they gave me my daily points (29) and weekly flex points (49).  I always try to eat my full points a day and then I have varied a lot each week on how I use my flex points.  So far I have lost 12 pounds, and I'm a believer!  It has helped me see how poorly I was eating (which I didn't think was even that bad) and has encouraged me to really eat so much better (more fruits and veggies, better protein).  I don't know how strictly I will actually count points everyday for the rest of my life, but I have learned so much about how to eat the right foods and the right portion size and I do plan to strictly follow that for the rest of my life. 

I don't diet.  Never have.  This is the first time I have ever even tried to lose weight.  I realized I was heading down a path of gaining a couple pounds a year, and I didn't like that, and I freaked out about my cholesterol and family history of heart disease.  I figured making a forever change now would be easier and more beneficial versus waiting for some other "right time" in the future.  I was always taught that diets tend to make you gain more weight because you often deprive yourself while on it and then your body hoards the calories when you go off.  I don't want to ever enter that cycle.  Also, I like that I can make my own food and buy what I want and track the points versus having to eat pre-made food that may or may not be good.  I feel full and satisfied on WW, but at first it was a little hard to resist those temptations of a donut or cookie at work.  However, now I find that I just get mad at myself if I give into a treat I didn't plan on.  Not in a obsessive way, but the sugar makes me feel tired and just gross if I eat more than I'm used to now.

Also, there is no official food to buy or meal plan like some other programs, but they do have some food for sale.  I love the WW ice cream section at my grocery store - the treats are so yummy and easy to fit into my daily points.  I tried the lemon snack cakes once, and they weren't my favorite, but now I want to try these protein bars that I got an email about. 

Anyway, as you can see, I really love the program, but I'm no expert.  However, if you have any questions about it, I would be more than happy to try and answer them based solely on my personal experience.  I would definitely recommend WW though whether you are trying to lose 10 pounds or 50 - it works!!!

Comments

Stori said…
Pictures!!! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Conversation #32: Kitchen Design Help!

Okay, I don’t really know that too many people read this blog since I moved to a new address, but I’m begging if you do, please help me.  I am at a loss on what to do with part of my kitchen. Here is how I painted my kitchen 3 years ago: It was fun, bright, and I like it, but we decided it needed to be a bit more grown-up these days.  I knew we would have to paint it before we moved so we decided to just go ahead and do it now for a change.  We decided to go with a gray so that it would be neutral but not boring.  However, the gray had a strong blue tone to it on the walls and now I need to phase out my turquoise decor I think. Here are some afters (still putting it back together): Some of these are the same shots but with/without flash to show the colors.  I think I really like the new color, but the turquoise trim does not go anymore in my opinion.  I’m trying to figure out what to do with it, and I need help!!!  Please, give me ideas!!! I’m seri

Conversation #123: Open to Interpretation

First, I apologize for two posts today.  The other one was supposed to post yesterday.  I wrote it during lunch, but it didn't post properly.  Oh well. So I started reading Kayla's blog during her last wardrobe challenge, and I loved it.  I also loved when she and Amy and Erica started doing this series called Open to Interpretation.  I have no idea why, but I never thought of taking an outfit I saw in a catalog or a magazine and then recreating it or something like it with what I already own.  This has really helped me not only stretch my closet but also push me to try some new fashiony things (without going out to spend a ton of money). Here is the photo inspiration (I just copied it from Kayla's blog): And here is my interpretation: Outfit breakdown: Sweater - Old Navy, $8 Striped Shirt - LOFT (from the event last week), $20 Pink pants - JCPenney, Juniors section (don't tell Stacey and Clinton), $10 Leather Oxfords - J.Jill, $30 Mine is pretty close to j

Conversation #205: About Me

Hello! I have no idea how often I will escape to this place, but since I recently added this ol' blog address to my Instagram Profile, I thought maybe I should dust her off and welcome any new readers. I have so many thoughts rolling around in my head CONSTANTLY that maybe this would be a good spot again to release them, and keep me from online shopping too much during my lunch break ;)  I hear a faint AMEN from my husband. Anyway, the title of my blog may lead people to make snap judgments about me or my beliefs, which is unfortunate, but also the society we live in at the moment.  First, it created a sort of catchy blog name, and I liked it.  And, yes, I am a conservative, but that label has sooooo many different meanings depending on what media outlet you last listened to so I thought maybe I would use this post to re-introduce myself to old friends and share a bit about how I have grown in the last few years. I am Christian, Jesus Follower, Believer, Daughter of the K