Skip to main content

Conversation #146: How about something a little lighter today?

Thanks for going on my spiritual journey with me!  I just felt like I needed to process it all and get it out there.  It has been so amazing for me and I just hope that I keep calling out to God and Holy Spirit so He can just keep revealing His truths to me. 

Okay, so here is something pretty silly, but y'all know I like (ok have an obsession) with handbags, right?  I mean I have loved them for as long as I can remember.  I used to go through them pretty quickly and just buy cheap ones often.  However, once I got into college, I really began to value the classic, leather handbag that I could keep for more than just one season.  I think all of my handbags are leather now, except for any Vera Bradley stuff I have, and I just love using them all and shopping my closet when I want a new handbag.  Let's be honest, though, it is still fun to buy a new one every once in a while.  No worries - my frugality prevails.  Every time I think I'll save up to buy a real fancy leather bag, I just decide it isn't worth it.  I can't spend $200 if I know I can get a leather bag for $60 or less.  I have splurged on just a couple of bags in the past (and that was the $60 or $70 bag) but the rest have been much cheaper.

My tip for finding good leather handbags?  ebay!  (TJ Maxx and sale websites have also contributed to my collection)  I don't know why, but I love handbags so much that I will watch home shopping channels for entertainment when they have handbags on even though I know I will never purchase one.  Well, one late night while the hubby was still in law school and I had to entertain myself in the evenings, I stumbled upon on the Dooney & Bourke hour on QVC.  I became enthralled, which is sad really, but I just love looking at purses apparently.  Plus, I love the Dooney rep on QVC - she makes you feel like you are her best friend (which is probably why she is on there because she is good at sales!)  Ever since then, I have kind of wanted to own a Dooney because I love their classic leather styles and know they last forever if well-cared for.  I knew I wanted a satchel/speedy style bag and began hunting last summer.  I thought I was successful until the handbag arrived, and I quickly knew it was a fake.  Thankfully, the seller accepted the return and I just tucked the thought in the back of mind.  Well, I decided I need a navy leather bag, and I just knew I wanted it to be my Dooney.

I hunted and hunted on ebay (and I am now pretty good at knowing what to look for in checking authenticity) and I found my Dooney!  It is exactly what I wanted, and it was in pretty great shape.  I cleaned up a bit once I got it, but here she is (deep navy, not black - kind of hard to tell in the pic):

The best part - she was only $40 shipped (new ones sell for $245)
Okay, so this was completely silly and shallow, but I love a good deal and a good leather handbag!  Hope you all have a great weekend :)

Comments

chelsey said…
Very pretty! I have a knockoff that I found for 10 bucks, but after 3 months of constant use, the "leather" on one of the handles is cracking. (That's not to say I'll quit using it!)

But yours is lovely and will last so much longer. Great find! (Please don't be offended when I turn up with its sister, also scored on ebay!) :)

Popular posts from this blog

Conversation #114: Wardrobe Checklist (and retail detox update)

I read something a while back that sort of spurred me into thinking I needed to do this whole retail detox thing.  I'm just going to get it out there - it has been way hard for me and I'm super embarrassed and disappointed by that.  I did well for the first two weeks, and then I got into this buying and returning things habit because I felt bad after buying it.  I told myself that I could still buy things, but only with extra money I earned from ebay.  That worked for a while too, but then I caved to the Lands' End Canvas sale last weekend.  I bought three tees, a skirt, and a cardigan.  I think that all but maybe one tee will be going back and hopefully I can stop this extra shopping. 

Okay, back to the "thing" I read...

It was an article in Real Simple magazine targeted at helping you never buy the wrong thing again.  It has great tips in it, and the wardrobe checklist it includes really brought it all back home to me.  I started going through the checklist an…

Conversation #203: So I married my mom

I don't know if people say this to men, but I heard a lot while growing up that girls tend to marry someone like their dad (I guess good, bad, or ugly).  I don't know how true that really is, but relatively early on in our marriage, my husband and I realized I married my mom.

This doesn't mean my husband is feminine or my mother masculine, but to say that they seem to be the same person.  I am definitely more like my dad personality wise so it probably make sense that I married someone more like my mom.  Now I will say my mom, being an actual woman, generally makes her a bit more empathetic and understanding to the eccentricities of being a woman.  I don't think any man, my husband or otherwise, will ever be able to understand the intricacies of being a woman. However, I also feel like he can talk to my mom, and being that they have both lived with me and seem to speak the same language,  can benefit from her wisdom and knowledge of co-habitating with me and enlighten …

Conversation #204: My Jesus...

Oh Facebook and social media of all kinds...we have a love hate/relationship.  Lately, these days, I feel it is more hate only because I allow myself to be depressed by things I see.  I recently told someone the other day that I had lost faith in humanity, and then it hit me, that is exactly where I should be.  We are a fallen people in a fallen world, and I should have NO faith in humanity.  Why did that take me 30 years to figure out?

So there has been a lot of political/social stuff swirling around, and division among Christians, and I hate it.  Like I said, I have no faith in humanity and realizing that was a good reminder it should ALL be in the Lord.  Even though there are definitely things going on in this world that reject the truth of the Gospel, Jesus, the thing that scares me the most these days is the phrase I alluded to in the title: "my Jesus wouldn't believe this" or "I can't follow a God that would say that" or "I just don't believe…