6.29.2010

Conversation #11: Granola crunchy people

I have been having a weird health thing lately, but the upside is that it has made me want to be healthier.  One thing I knew would help me was some greek yogurt – that stuff is healthy!

I don’t mind some kinds plain, but the kind I got in bulk needs a little sprucing up.  I decided to buy some granola at Whole Foods to spice it up, but that just wasn’t going to be an everyday thing because it was quickly going to get pricey.  I popped on the ol’ internet and found a recipe from one of my favorite people: Alton Brown.

granola

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients

  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup slivered almonds
  • 1 cup cashews
  • 3/4 cup shredded sweet coconut
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup raisins

Directions

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut, and brown sugar.

In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, oil, and salt. Combine both mixtures and pour onto 2 sheet pans. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even color.

Remove from oven and transfer into a large bowl. Add raisins and mix until evenly distributed.

It was super simple!  I actually left out the nuts and raisins and coconut because they’re not my favorite.  I thought about adding in craisins, but opted to keep it more simple so I could add fruit to the yogurt as well.  I had everything else on hand already so it made it a super cheap recipe too.  It is soooooooooo tasty, and it made a lot as well.  Now the hubby and I are fighting over who gets to eat it!

2 comments:

Cole said...

Mmm, I love granola! Alton has the best recipes. :-)

chelsey said...

Homemade granola is the best! I have a couple of recipes too (some from online, some from friends) if you ever want to try a new one. A girlfriend of mine keeps hers in this giant glass jar on her counter, with a cute little scoop inside... and it looks adorable. (and tastes amazing w/yogurt and fruit!)