Skip to main content

Conversation #108: The 100 Day Stretch – Retail Detox

If you read my post yesterday, you know that I put myself on a shopping ban.  Well, I was also super behind on blog reading and just happened to read Misty’s post from last week talking about the 100 Day Stretch (see button on the side).  Yes you read that right – 100 Days.  Basically, it means that we are going 100 Days without shopping.  I kind of can’t believe I just said that, but as I said yesterday, it is much needed.  Sometimes I really think God works in the small things.  I need to do this detox, but I wasn’t sure I could do it alone.  Now I don’t have to thanks to Misty!

So how did this all start?  Well, I have always loved shopping, but online shopping was just becoming too much of a hobby.  Also, looking, or should I say hunting, for a good deal became almost a high for me I think.  Anywho, this really kicked into gear a few months ago when I lost weight and needed to replace some clothing.  Well, I got a little crazy and went a little overboard (as described yesterday while I started looking at all the new clothes I haven’t even worn in my closet).

So the last day I officially bought something was Saturday, September 17.  Therefore, day 100 is December 26th.  I’m not sure if I will let myself shop on the day after Christmas or wait one more day, but we’ll cross that bridge when we get there.  For now, this is the start of this journey and we’ll see what happens.

My rules for myself:

I will not buy any clothes, shoes or jewelry.  I hope this stretch will encourage me to work on some of my sewing projects I have half started.  I will not be allowed to buy new patterns or fabric, but I will let myself buy a zipper or some other notion if I NEED one (as in really don’t have one at all) to finish a project.  I even have a wedding to attend in two weeks, but I will wear a dress I already have so as of now I’m not allowing myself any purchase but one: a midi skirt.  That is also only if I find one I love, and I really only plan to look at local thrift stores.  That is all.  The only other thing I have even contemplated buying that does not fall into an above category is a new, slimmer case for my nook, but I think I’ll try to get that on ebay (and only that) if I sell more items.

Okay, those are the rules.  Are you in?  If you want to join, go here and let Misty know!  Check back here each Monday to see how I’m doing.  Next Monday: the basic wardrobe list every woman needs (as seen in Real Simple, May 2011)

Comments

Jennifer said…
Good for you! I have been trying to cut back over the past year since I was mostly shopping for stuff for our wedding. I have recently started letting myself buy things again, but sparingly. I have a budget that I have to stick to. I won't go over it. It is working well for me, and I haven't felt the guilt of buying stuff that I don't need or spending more money than I really could afford. Good luck with this!!!
It sounds like you are off to a great start! Speaking of encouragement to work on sewing projects, that is exactly what I have been doing the last few days. I'm hemming pants that are too long and getting some projects done that I have been putting off. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Conversation #114: Wardrobe Checklist (and retail detox update)

I read something a while back that sort of spurred me into thinking I needed to do this whole retail detox thing.  I'm just going to get it out there - it has been way hard for me and I'm super embarrassed and disappointed by that.  I did well for the first two weeks, and then I got into this buying and returning things habit because I felt bad after buying it.  I told myself that I could still buy things, but only with extra money I earned from ebay.  That worked for a while too, but then I caved to the Lands' End Canvas sale last weekend.  I bought three tees, a skirt, and a cardigan.  I think that all but maybe one tee will be going back and hopefully I can stop this extra shopping. 

Okay, back to the "thing" I read...

It was an article in Real Simple magazine targeted at helping you never buy the wrong thing again.  It has great tips in it, and the wardrobe checklist it includes really brought it all back home to me.  I started going through the checklist an…

The Post Office Blonde Moment

(Photo from: http://www.nauvoonews.com/nauvoo_photos.htm)

So I found a new satchel purse that I'm very excited about.  I got a better deal on this one than the other, and it is from one of my favorite purse companies, The Sak.  Here is a picture of it:
I decided that I needed to return a purse I bought from them a couple of weeks ago though to feel good about this purchase.  I bought it thinking I would love it, but I just couldn't make the shape fit for me.  I let it sit for a week or so, but it wasn't happening.  I was just going to keep it because the thought of returning it sounded like a hassle until this bag was revealed on their website, and it was waaaaay marked down for a week!  I decided I would just send the other one back, and so began the post office debacle.

I lost a little faith in the USPS this week - at least the local one near me.  I went on Monday night to pick up a priority mail box, and they were all out.  Plus, there were like 20+ people in line.  I de…

Conversation #203: So I married my mom

I don't know if people say this to men, but I heard a lot while growing up that girls tend to marry someone like their dad (I guess good, bad, or ugly).  I don't know how true that really is, but relatively early on in our marriage, my husband and I realized I married my mom.

This doesn't mean my husband is feminine or my mother masculine, but to say that they seem to be the same person.  I am definitely more like my dad personality wise so it probably make sense that I married someone more like my mom.  Now I will say my mom, being an actual woman, generally makes her a bit more empathetic and understanding to the eccentricities of being a woman.  I don't think any man, my husband or otherwise, will ever be able to understand the intricacies of being a woman. However, I also feel like he can talk to my mom, and being that they have both lived with me and seem to speak the same language,  can benefit from her wisdom and knowledge of co-habitating with me and enlighten …