Skip to main content

Conversation #109: What happened to college sports?

Photo from here.

This may not be of interest to many of my readers, but I am just getting sort of frustrated and tired of all the conference changes.  I thought sports were supposed to be about fun and competition, and who doesn't love a good rivalry.  Instead, it has become about the money.  Isn't that what always happens?

I'm also sad, because it seems that yet again, my lovely home state of Kansas is going to be kicked to the curb as always.  I know Kansas isn't as exciting as NYC, and no, we don't have any beaches, but I LOVE Kansas.  Unfortunately I don't get to live there anymore, but I will always be a Kansan, and I have tons of pride for my state.  It is full of hard working people, and maybe we just prefer a simpler, quieter pace of life.  I miss that living in a big city.  Plus, with the Internet and UPS, I have determined that I could shop anywhere, even in fashion lacking Kansas (we used to get stores later than other places).

I hate when I tell people I'm from Kansas and they either say, "I drove there once" or "I flew over it once."  The coasts have definitely made it flyover country for sure.  Seems that may happen again in college sports.  I live in Texas, and although I will always be a Kansan, I like Texas, too.  Texas is too big and too strong willed to let it be flyover country, and it also has far more people in it than Kansas.  I'm sorry to any University of Texas fans out there, but I sort of feel like they ruined the Big XII.  They are all about money, and they are huge so they have a very large alumni and fan base.  Kansas can't compete with that, and therefore we'll get kicked to the curb and put in the "leftovers" conference because we don't have the money or sheer number of people the southern schools have to support it monetarily like TX schools can. 

This is probably a little whiny, but it makes me so sad for my home state, and I wish I could do something to help.  I just hope the NCAA and colleges realize that we already have a pro-football league, and college sports used to be more fun when money wasn't the goal.  Anyway, I'm off my soapbox now.  So long Big XII - you will be missed.  I even remember when you were the Big VIII way back in the day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conversation #114: Wardrobe Checklist (and retail detox update)

I read something a while back that sort of spurred me into thinking I needed to do this whole retail detox thing.  I'm just going to get it out there - it has been way hard for me and I'm super embarrassed and disappointed by that.  I did well for the first two weeks, and then I got into this buying and returning things habit because I felt bad after buying it.  I told myself that I could still buy things, but only with extra money I earned from ebay.  That worked for a while too, but then I caved to the Lands' End Canvas sale last weekend.  I bought three tees, a skirt, and a cardigan.  I think that all but maybe one tee will be going back and hopefully I can stop this extra shopping. 

Okay, back to the "thing" I read...

It was an article in Real Simple magazine targeted at helping you never buy the wrong thing again.  It has great tips in it, and the wardrobe checklist it includes really brought it all back home to me.  I started going through the checklist an…

Conversation #204: My Jesus...

Oh Facebook and social media of all kinds...we have a love hate/relationship.  Lately, these days, I feel it is more hate only because I allow myself to be depressed by things I see.  I recently told someone the other day that I had lost faith in humanity, and then it hit me, that is exactly where I should be.  We are a fallen people in a fallen world, and I should have NO faith in humanity.  Why did that take me 30 years to figure out?

So there has been a lot of political/social stuff swirling around, and division among Christians, and I hate it.  Like I said, I have no faith in humanity and realizing that was a good reminder it should ALL be in the Lord.  Even though there are definitely things going on in this world that reject the truth of the Gospel, Jesus, the thing that scares me the most these days is the phrase I alluded to in the title: "my Jesus wouldn't believe this" or "I can't follow a God that would say that" or "I just don't believe…

Conversation #205: About Me

Hello!

I have no idea how often I will escape to this place, but since I recently added this ol' blog address to my Instagram Profile, I thought maybe I should dust her off and welcome any new readers.

I have so many thoughts rolling around in my head CONSTANTLY that maybe this would be a good spot again to release them, and keep me from online shopping too much during my lunch break ;)  I hear a faint AMEN from my husband.

Anyway, the title of my blog may lead people to make snap judgments about me or my beliefs, which is unfortunate, but also the society we live in at the moment.  First, it created a sort of catchy blog name, and I liked it.  And, yes, I am a conservative, but that label has sooooo many different meanings depending on what media outlet you last listened to so I thought maybe I would use this post to re-introduce myself to old friends and share a bit about how I have grown in the last few years.

I am Christian, Jesus Follower, Believer, Daughter of the King - w…